[BC] 40 years later we been had

Bob Young youngbob53 at msn.com
Sun Jul 12 12:39:07 CDT 2009

Most "live" albums have had at least some added harmony's, guitar parts, punched in lead vocals, etc especially back then when equipment wasn't as good as it is today, etc. They have live music down to a science today, anyone can sound good live nowadays, you really had to be great to sound great live 40 years ago, mediocre didn't make it. This does not surprise me at all, in fact I heard a song from it the other day and was thinking that it did not sound live. One of my all time favorite live albums is The Rolling Stones Get Yer ya-ya's Out! Now that album has ambience, it sounds like you are actually in the audience at some points, you can "hear" Madison Square Garden all over it. I don't know if it has had any punches either however, but it is a great album.It says: Recorded at Madison Square garden, New York Nov. 27 & 28th 1969Recording and mixing Engineer: Glyn JohnsRecorded by the Wally Hieder Mobile, Amps by AmpegBob YoungKB1OKL
Message: 14
From: Alan Peterson <alanpeterson at earthlink.net>
<4730259.1247407702450.JavaMail.root at mswamui-chipeau.atl.sa.earthlink.net>

The current MIX Magazine is confirming in its "classic tracks" series that the iconic "Cheap Thrills" album by Big Brother & the Holding Company was, in fact, not a live album recorded at the Fillmore auditorium but a studio effort.

Sorta what we thought all along.

How else could the general absence of audience reaction be explained, especially in the breakout hit "Piece of My Heart"? Turns out the front cover wasn't lying: "Live Material Recorded at Bill Graham's Fillmore Auditorium"... nowhere does it say EVERYTHING was recorded live, just some "material." It also turns out, according to the article, that the band wasn't so terrific in a live venue, so studio taping and editing was the only option if they wanted a decent album to release.

*sigh*... Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, the Monkees, Milli Vanilli, ... now this. There's nothing left to believe in anymore.

-ap