[BC] El Nino is back...

RichardBJohnson at comcast.net RichardBJohnson at comcast.net
Fri Jul 10 08:58:15 CDT 2009

When I lived in Sacramento, California, it was a great place to live. The rents were cheap, the apartments modern, the people were friendly, the police did not hassle anybody, and the weather was moderate. There were two seasons, one hot and dry and the other wet and cool. For Halloween parties, we could strap on a Ruger .357 and attend as an Urban Cowboy. There was no gun control for exposed weapons.

I vividly remember two such "cowboys" drunk as skunks, shooting up each others' trucks with a cop watching. They had met each other at an intersection and refused to yield the right-of-way. After the trucks were towed from the scene, the police gave the guys a ride home, with their shotguns safely stowed in the trunk of the police car!

I do not remember ever hearing, or reading in the newspaper, about anyone arrested for DUI. If the drivers were caught wobbling home from a night on the town, the worse that could happen was their car would be towed off the highway and they'd have to pick it up in the morning. The police would take them home.

Of course, few people would actually get drunk because alcoholic beverages were so commonplace that weekend binges were very uncommon. One could have a beer at any restaurant. You could even purchase a beer from a cooler at McDonald's!

Aha, liberty! It’s all gone now. The "do-gooders" and "tree-huggers" have taken it all. Liberty is replaced with the boredom of a highly regimented existence where one conducts his life for the "common good of all!" It is just as Carl Marx wanted!

Cheers,
Richard B. Johnson
Book: http://www.AbominableFirebug.com/