[BC] Internet attacks

Harold Hallikainen harold at hallikainen.com
Wed Jul 8 17:24:33 CDT 2009

>  But spamcop is a black list, perhaps the worst, or second worst
>  way to gauge anything, especially REAL spam.
>
>  Their methods strike me as tossing out 5 pounds of bath water,
>  and recording 17 pounds of bathwater as disposed.
>
>  I guess a little bit of false positive is OK if you're going to
>  have clean bathwater ?
>
> --
> Cowboy

Why would there be a significant number of false positives on SpamCop?
They blacklist based on the number of reported spams versus overall email
volume. So, someone has to report a particular email as spam and enough
people have to do that that particular IP address sending a high spam to
non-spam ratio. I don't know the exact algorithm, but I believe it's
something like that. Looking at my mail logs, almost all the rejects are
from overseas or a DSL or cable modem. Here's some stuff rejected this
morning...

dsl-189-147-108-105-dyn.prod-infinitum.com.mx
hqk2.internetdsl.tpnet.pl
217.64.141.9 (Limited liability company Insit, Russia)
213.221.8.223 (GOLDEN Telecom, Russia KrasnoDar Static IP for xDSL Clients)
118.41.250.191 (Korea)
62-90-235-194.barak.net.il
203.117.254.59 (Starhub, Singapore)
cpe-67-49-247-188.dc.res.rr.com
203.117.254.59 (Starhub, Singapore)
222.253.104.21 (HCMPT-NET, Viet Nam)
catv4E5CBE57.pool.t-online.hu [78.92.190.87]
210.182.111.52 (BORANET, Korea)

I don't think I threw out any babies with the bathwater by rejecting these.

Harold

--
FCC Rules Updated Daily at http://www.hallikainen.com