[BC] KOMO Fire

Dave Dunsmoor mrfixit at min.midco.net
Tue Jul 7 21:03:36 CDT 2009

http://www.techflash.com/venture/Photos_Inside_the_Fisher_fire50049932.html

> Hopefully this will answer some of your questions.
>
> Clay Freinwald

    Well, it caused me to wonder more about what I've read and seen. The
pics of the buss bars show something different than I would have imagined.
They appear to be encapsulated in some type of electrical/mechanical
arrangement (which is what I'd expect - just like wire would be).

    So I have to wonder: how well were the mechanical connections made when
they were originally constructed? Every time I've watched electricians put
bus bars/lugs, etc together, they take it out of the box, assemble it and
tighten the nuts and bolts to the hilt. Never have I seen anyone clean off
the (ever so slight) layer of oxide that's ALWAYS on the copper, nor have I
ever seen them put on any copper or silver containing grease on the
connection.

    I know that there are a few milli-ohms of resistance there, and that
generates heat when enough electrons are pushed across the junction, which
will eventually cause more oxidation, and the cycle continues. The melted
out portion appears to be at a junction, just right for a hot junction.
Might this be the cause, right out in the open?

    Perhaps this isn't the situation, and these bus bar junctions (if indeed
this is what we're looking at) were properly cad-welded. If so, then my
guess as to the cause isn't correct. Anyone here know for sure?

Dave Dunsmoor