[BC] IP Radio(s) oddity

Tom Spencer Radiofreetom at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 15:53:52 CDT 2009

Check port forwarding permissions at the studio end - you may be hitting
a non-standard port from the radio....

This may require an active computer at the remote end - doesn't have to
be doing anything, just powered up and connected, so the router will
"see" the computer and can assign an IP number to it - that's if you're
using the DHCP server in the router; you can also force port
assignments, but that can mess things up if computers get swapped around...

Not sure how the radio link would affect that - if it's just an
"Ethernet extension cable", it shouldn't matter, but you say you've got
a couple of things hanging on it, so...

Other idea / thought...

Clarify - just one Ethernet cable between the radio and the router at
the studio?  If so, then the transmitter end should have a router - with
the radio plugged into its WAN port - it will then act as an expansion
unit to the studio router.  If the router at the transmitter is part of
the radio, then it should be configured so that it sees the router at
the studio as its WAN connection.

HTH

Mark Croom wrote:

snip 1

> While I am unable to ping the gateway from the remote PC, I can ping any
> machine on the local side of the LAN. I can VNC into any of those machines,
> open a browser window, and get Internet. All the while a CMD window on the
> laptop is running non-stop pings to 192.168.1.1 and getting "Request Timed
> Out" back each and every time.
>
> If I take my laptop and plug it into the network cable that the radio is
> connected to at the studio, everything works normally.
>
> I'm starting to wonder just what might be going on here. If everybody was
> having trouble getting to the internet when I have trouble remotely I'd look
> elsewhere, but somehow I think this problem is going to be in either the
> radio pair's configuration, or the way it passes packets to the router.

snip 2

--
Tom Spencer
PG-18-25453 (nee' P1-18-48841)