[BC] And Portland, too: 50kw KPNW 1120 Off The Air - FIRE!

Barry Mishkind barry at oldradio.com
Mon Jul 6 22:38:22 CDT 2009

KPNW TEMPORARILY OFF-AIR

***KPNW IS EXPERIENCING TRANSMITTER PROBLEMS. ***
Friday morning, July, 3rd at approximately 6:30am KPNW suffered a
major failure of our main 50,000 watt transmitter.  This failure was
complicated by extreme heat at the transmitter site both Friday and Saturday.

By early Friday afternoon we had our 60 year old RCA 10,000 watt
transmitter on the air, but a combination of heat and age only
allowed us to be on the air sporadically an hour or two at a time,
and then off for an hour or so.  Saturday evening it appeared that
the backup had stabilized.  It ran fine for several hours after which
our engineer left the premises to get some sleep after working almost
non-stop since Friday.

Sometime early Sunday morning our backup transmitter went off the
air.  When the engineer arrived on site the room was full of acrid
smoke and a quick check showed that the transformer had caught fire
earlier and was still smoking.  We have been off the air continuously since.

As to what originally happened to our 50,000 watt main transmitter,
it appears to be some sort of system overload.  Many of the
components of the transmitter are shorted out and will require
replacement.  Currently, we are both ordering and borrowing parts to
rebuild the transmitter.

At this time we believe that we may be back on the air by Tuesday
afternoon at the earliest.  We are also considering bringing another
transmitter in from one of our Bicoastal Media sister
stations.  However, depending on the brand re-tuning a transmitter to
run on 1120am can be time consuming.

As a side note, we have been overwhelmed by emails and phone calls
from our listeners concerned about the welfare of the station, it's
employees and our shows. We are okay...a little frazzled, but working
hard to get back on the air.  Many listeners have postulated that the
events of the weekend were caused by President Obama, or ultra-left
wing terrorists.  This obviously was not the case.  Like any piece of
electronics equipment, transmitters will eventually fail, and
occasionally the failure is massive as compared to minor.

All of us here at KPNW understand your frustration with the current
situation, we are working hard to try and restore our signal and the
programming that you rely on day in and day out. Thanks,

Bill Lundun
Program Director KPNW
<mailto:1120kpnw at gmail.com>1120kpnw at gmail.com

<http://www.kpnw.com/pages/landing?KPNW-TEMPORARILY-OFF-AIR=1&blockID=62091&feedID=207>http://www.kpnw.com/pages/landing?KPNW-TEMPORARILY-OFF-AIR=1&blockID=62091&feedID=207