[BC] Radio station ignoring rules

Craig Healy bubba at dukes-of-hazzard.com
Mon Jul 6 17:43:52 CDT 2009

> Methinks it is a MISSING automation system! From what I could
> determine, the phones haven been disconnected for such a long
> time that the numbers have even been reassigned. There is some
> programming that purports to come from Boston which they
> simulcast in the daytime. However, in the nighttime it is dead
> air, with an hourly identification of "ESPN 980!" 980 kHz is
> their flagship station in Washington, DC. Their Boston satellite
> is 890 kHz and the WLLH ID doesn't use the Boston one. It uses
> the Washington, DC one! It's really weird, like somebody just
> connected the transmitter to the Washington network feed and
> walked away!

Anything's possible.  The legal ID for ESPN shows at xx:59:50 if you allow
for the delay which many stations use.  I have two stations in my client
list that are ESPN affiliates and their satellite programming is
station-neutral.  The XDS satellite receiver always triggers the IDs
correctly.

The main project WAMG hired me for was installation of a satellite dish.
It's aimed at the ABC bird low on the western horizon.  That dish is at the
WAMG transmitter site and the audio is returned via an Interplex T1 line to
the studios.  I really don't understand why the audio would vanish at night.
The only time my clients need to use different audio is when ESPN is
broadcasting a locally blacked out game.  Doesn't happen all that often, and
they do provide an alternate programming feed.

I can hear 890 from where I am, but not 1400.  I'd be curious to see what
Blair Harden has to say about this.

Grady:  When you speak with Blair, would you ask him to contact me?  I have
something unrelated to this I would like to discuss with him.  Nothing
serious...

Craig Healy
Providence, RI