[BC] dishes/antennas and HOAs

towers at mre.com towers at mre.com
Sat Jul 4 09:45:06 CDT 2009

The Sat. Comm. Act of 1997 changed all that.  HOA's MUST accomododate
dishes and antennas which permit OTA reception.  Gone is the 18" dish
limitation. (But there is a 1M limit on the roof and eve mounted dishes.)
In fact, ISTR the Act also specifically addresses the conventional larger
dish issue as well.  Recall, DISH, et al. were all infants at the time.

When the statute was first in effect, I received a number of calls from
HOA's regarding which dishes were permitted, what measures would be
constituted as "reasonable" for visual shielding and set backs, etc. so as
to allow their installation.

It was messy at the start as there were many attornies on HOA boards who
simply didn't "get" the intent of the Statute, let alone the related
technical and physical issues of set backs and shielding.  Once they had a
copy of the Statute and a couple drawings showing look angles, etc.,
lights went on over their heads. They hated the Stature, but understood
the reasons and eventually grasped the technical concepts.

MM