[BC] KOMO, Seattle building fire

Dave Dunsmoor mrfixit at min.midco.net
Fri Jul 3 15:45:38 CDT 2009

> Back a few years ago, HALON suppression for data centers and other
> electrical / electronic spaces was being touted as being the best way to
> go -
>
> Whatever happened to that?  Did the environmental wackos decide that was
> a no-no?

    Yeah, they did. You can still get it, or get the old ones renewed, but
it's costly. Supposedly there is a "suitable sub", but I don't know how well
it works. I DO know that Halon works, and it works extremely well. I had
occasion to use it once on an electrical fire. For as often as any might
conceivably ever be released into the atmosphere (assuming that it REALLY
does "harm" the ozone), it's a non-issue as far as I'm concerned.

   Dave Dunsmoor