[BC] Cable rips off HDTV

Rich Wood richwood at pobox.com
Fri Jul 3 10:28:47 CDT 2009

------ At 11:13 AM 7/3/2009, Harold Hallikainen wrote: -------

>I've got a yagi with a rotor up about 20 feet to see TV. My brother
>visited a while back and took his kids outside to see it. He said they'd
>probably never see one again. I've also got a couple DTV converter boxes
>to drive the NTSC TVs.

I had to have my car inspected yesterday. I sat in the waiting room
where there was an NTSC set fed by a converter. They were using the
telescoping antenna on the TV. The video quality was about the worst
I've seen on a distant NTSC station. In addition, pixellation
happened every 30 seconds or so. The dealership is within sight of
two of the local stations shared transmitter site. As with the
portable I bought and returned, the scan received only one station
with its own antenna.

The cable system is so bad here that I'm seeing many new satellite
dishes where there were none before. Do we have an IBUZ-type
situation where power levels are far too low?

Rich