[BC] Cable rips off HDTV

Harold Hallikainen harold at hallikainen.com
Fri Jul 3 10:13:35 CDT 2009

> Not to worry for me.  I have no cable...no Dish Network....no Direct TV.
> Just my trusty antenna and digital converter box and wireless internet.
> But I do have a "free to air" satellite dish.  Does anybody else have FTA?
> DA

I've got a yagi with a rotor up about 20 feet to see TV. My brother
visited a while back and took his kids outside to see it. He said they'd
probably never see one again. I've also got a couple DTV converter boxes
to drive the NTSC TVs. I'm still looking at building a MythTV DVR since we
can no longer program our VCR for time shifting.

On the cost effectiveness of over the air television, I had read years ago
that the cost of doing it for the relatively low number of people using it
was not worthwhile. This article came out this week:
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/2a99223e-62b2-11de-b1c9-00144feabdc0.html?nclick_check=1
. It's by Thomas Hazlett, He used to be the chief economist for the FCC.
He and I have had numerous discussions on spectrum auctions (see my
article at http://sujan.hallikainen.org/ijclp/ijclp_webdoc_6_5_2000.pdf ).
So, we'll see how long I can continue to watch OTA television. I DO notice
that more and more television programs are available on the Internet (both
network sites and http://www.hulu.com ), so maybe that's the way it's
heading.

On Free To Air satellite television, I have not dealt with it, but there's
an interesting list of channels at http://www.ftalist.com/master.htm .

Harold

--
FCC Rules Updated Daily at http://www.hallikainen.com