[BC] Best Buy Dropping Sony XDR-S3HD Table Radio

Kevin Tekel amstereoexp at yahoo.com
Sat May 31 15:18:08 CDT 2008

Mike McCarthy wrote:
> $129.99 clearance at the BB by the house.  It varies by store I
> guess.  Disappointed in it's performance...though I like the fact
> that the clock radio would sound killer when I wake up.  But I'm not
> ready to invest $140 (including tax) in a new clock radio, plus
> antenna connections no matter how good it sounds.

It was $136.99 at one store I checked today; another store I checked two
days ago had no posted discount.  It is a good-sounding radio, but
standing in front of it, you have to lift it up to read the front-mounted
display since the LCD becomes invisible at an angle, and the "surround
sound" mode produces strange MP3-like digital artifacts even when
listening to analog FM.

Still, I might consider the Sony if it drops down to $99.99 or less.
Otherwise, Boston Acoustics and Tivoli analog table radios have better
controls and sound just as good (yes, they're mono, but the stereo effect
from the Sony is very limited because the speakers are so close together).

And it's just odd to see a woodgrain-cased table radio that needs to
"boot up" when turned on, and has a cooling fan.