[BC] NWS wake-up call

tpt at literock93r.com tpt at literock93r.com
Sat May 31 10:51:22 CDT 2008

Front passing through the area, NWS issues a "tornado watch" at 4:16.
At least that is what the print-out says.  Weekend guy calls me at
quarter to six. The Gorman Redlich is stuck in a loop--runs
header--silence--then runs a header again. I talked him through
pulling the plug on the Gorman & getting program audio back on both
stations. We don't run audio through the EAS--we have the EAS control
a pair of Broadcast Tools 2X1 switchers on the program line--so once
he pulled the tail on the EAs he just had to punch program up for both
stations.

Luckily he was there that early--normally comes in around 8:30 to cut
weather forecasts, load some Sunday programs in the computer & check
for any last-minute Friday spots changes that need to be programmed
in. He teaches at the local college--and his wife work for the college
food service on special events. School's out--but there is a
conference in town at the college this weekend.  So he had to drive
his wife in to the college real early to help get breakfast for the
attendees; and just decided to drive in to the station since he was
already up.

The Gorman said there was a stored message 70 seconds long--it kept
trying to run a header--but the printer would not recognize it. After
I pulled the unit from the rack, I got the "stored mesg" deleted and
it settled down. Later in the morning it seemed to be working
OK--pulled in a severe thunderstorm alert without a problem.

What was this all about? Some kind of bizarre encoding from NWS? They
are getting sloppy again--later this morning they sent a header, no
audio, then EOM.