[BC] Cell phones

rj carpenter rcarpen1 at verizon.net
Sat May 31 06:44:56 CDT 2008

I had Net10 which is $30 for 60 days and 300 minutes.  This 50 cents per
day.  Outgoing and incoming calls are charged at ten cents per minute. I
essentially didn't use the phone and had built up close to 700 minutes
by the end of six months.  BTW, a Motorola V170 phone including 60 days/
300 minutes of service cost $30 when I started the service.

I have since switched to Tracfone, which is owned by the same outfit.
It is better plan if you don't make any calls. I got a V170 through them
(couldn't switch the Net10 phone to Tracfone) for $20 IIRC, but had to
buy the 60 day/60 minute card (??) for $20 ... but there was an
activation bonus which added 20 more minutes and a month or two more
service.  Tracfone costs perhaps 30 cents per minute.  You can see why
it's best for people who just want an emergency cell phone and don't
intend to routinely make or receive calls.

Tracfone's add-time cards are easier to find than Net10's.

I find it odd that Tracfone's coverage map claims better coverage that
Net10's, since I expect they use the same underlying suppliers.

Iooked at the various other pre-pay suppliers and thought that Net10 was
the best deal for moderate users. Some suppliers that aim at hip youth
appear to have really bad deals.