[BC] RE: Studio Grounding Info

Glen Kippel glen.kippel at gmail.com
Fri May 30 11:55:48 CDT 2008

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 2:55 AM, Martin Sims* <martin at bluecow.co.za> wrote:

> In answer to your valid question about why "analog"? The specific answer is
> that the current had already limited itself to analog before I was called
> in. They had already ordered equipment so it's a bit late to turn back.
> More
> broadly, here in South Africa for many small and medium size installations
> digital is perceived as (and often is) to expensive.

Martin -- "perceived"?  It really IS too expensive if you are not networking
a bunch of studios together.  One, two, or three studios can just as well be
all analog and at lot less cost.  I know most manufacturers (at least in the
US) are emphasizing digital mixers, and fewer analog boards are available
except in Europe, where AEQ, Axel and others make them.  But I can't see any
reason to spend US $7000-10000 or more for a board when analog boards can be
had for half or a third of the price.