[BC] Do We Really Need All This Deception?

Rich Wood richwood at pobox.com
Fri May 30 07:46:45 CDT 2008

It seems there's a new "consumer" group called the "Consumer
Coalition for Competition in Satellite Radio." It appears there are
no "consumers" involved. According to Mark Ramsey"s "Hear 2.0" this
morning it's funded by the NAB.

Is terrestrial radio in such horrible shape that the NAB has to
double up under different names to shoot down a service that has a
fraction of the audience terrestrial radio has and won't have
anywhere near its set penetration in any of our lifetimes. Since the
NAB is spearheading the effort to force them to include HD Radio
capability whether "consumers" want it or not would the "Consumer's
Concerned ..." group be happy and go away if Satellite receivers had
this capability?

As a concerned consumer myself I'd like to see Satellite reception
capabilities in all HD Receivers I might form a group, myself.

While I'm not in favor of the merger because I strongly believe
prices will rise and format choices will dwindle and I don't believe
the claim that I'll get the same things I get now and have a lower
priced choice for fewer channels I don't believe Satellite radio  is
causing the sky to fall the way special interests claim. There's
always the possibility one of them will go belly up due to economic
forces and we'll have a monopoly service by default. With the sales
of terrestrial digital radios seeming to slow down

When there are so many other, more critical threats from the FCC it
seems to me that's where the NAB should be focused, not on pimping
for a special interest.

Here's the link for details http://www.hear2.com/.

I saw a bumper sticker the other day that applies here "If You're Not
Outraged, You're Not Paying Attention."

It's sad when the only way to accomplish something is though lies and
deception. I realize it's a Washington tradition but, as an industry
that used to follow high journalistic traditions, we should be better
than that.

Rich