[BC] Tower guy wire coating

Mark Earle mearle at mearle.com
Thu May 29 18:40:24 CDT 2008

Urban, Brian L wrote:
> They used to grease guy wires on tall towers years ago.  AFIK, this is no longer standard practice.  I can think of several reasons not to apply coatings-it traps moisture in the interior of the wire, and makes it difficult to see surface corrosion are two big ones.  If the wires were properly galvanized at the time of manufacture, I'd think coatings would be unnecessary.  My $0.02.

In '06, drove out to a site to do routine maintenance.. found a guy on
the ground. It was the 900' guy on a 980' tower. That led to quite a
worrisome two weeks, to get the needed materials and someone to install.
There had been a "bulge" about 50' out from the tower. Seems moisture
caused corrosion in the core of the cable. Despite my warnings, it was
ignored until it failed. Luckily, it all worked out, no one was injured
or hurt, the tower stayed up.

But, I'm no longer involed with that station group.

--
mwe

    ) )
   ( (
    ) ) You will be assimilated..oooh, coffee!!
  |****|KFTX 97.5 Real Country|Kingsville, TX
( |    |
  |____|mearle at mearle.com