[BC] Tower guy wire coating

Urban, Brian L burban at kut.org
Thu May 29 18:28:54 CDT 2008

They used to grease guy wires on tall towers years ago.  AFIK, this is no longer standard practice.  I can think of several reasons not to apply coatings-it traps moisture in the interior of the wire, and makes it difficult to see surface corrosion are two big ones.  If the wires were properly galvanized at the time of manufacture, I'd think coatings would be unnecessary.  My $0.02.