[BC] Spotmau Power Suite 2008 software

Cowboy curt at spam-o-matic.net
Thu May 29 08:16:42 CDT 2008

On Thursday 29 May 2008 01:44 am, Xmitters at aol.com wrote:

>  I've written to the software support site several times, and the busy work
>  they want me to do is an outrage; complete hardware inventory, Mboard model
>  number, everythig imaginable. I have no idea what model Mboard dell used.

 Probably, they haven't said that they don't know, but it's not busy work.
 As a developer, one will frequently ask for what seems irrelevant details
 when one does not have direct access to that hardware combination for
 troubleshooting purposes.
 There may be a particular combination of untested hardware simply because
 I don't have access, but then you come along with something very similar
 to what I was concerned about, and you get a whole list of stuff that might
 seem like busy work to you, but isn't really.
 Not saying it is, but it's possible.

>  What is your favorite windows admin password recovery tool?  (Other than
>  Fdisk and setup.exe :-)  )

 There was a linux floppy some years back for exactly that on NT based
 systems.
 It didn't recover passwords, because they are encrypted, but would
 reset them to none.
 Basicly, you booted the floppy, and when it was booted would tell you
 that it was done, and stop. Remove, and reboot windows.
 It worked on all NT based systems, and worked from CD too.
 It's been a while, and I'm not home where the CD is.
 If memory serves, I got it at a conference on real time development, but
 only had to use it about once.
 It was available on the net last I'd looked.
 You need know nothing about *nix. It's a fully automatic "just boot this"
 and be done with it, then windows would prompt for new passwords.

 Most of these utilities will not work if the file system is encrypted.
 If that's the case, you really are hosed.
 My favorite tools either are complex, and allow one to do many things,
 but one must do them, or self contained "embedded" *nix routines that
 do one thing, but you need know nothing about them.
 There are several, though *I* have no favorite, save non-windows tools
 for windows recovery.
 Googling some combination of
 linux windows "password recover"
 should find at least a few, along with comments and explanations.
 Unfortunately, it'll also find thousands of useless windows routines that
 do completely different things as well.

 Remind me next week sometime if you still have the problem, and I'll
 look for the one I have somewhere.

--
Cowboy