[BC] IP Weirdness

Dana Puopolo dpuopolo at usa.net
Mon May 26 13:06:34 CDT 2008

NoiP HAS to phone home all the time! That's how it works...let me explain.

You have a dynamic IP address, but you want to host web pages or whatever else
that normally requires a static IP address. So, you sign up with a service
like NoiP or DynDNS and let them do your DNS lookup/redirection. They put a
small program on one of your LAN computers that constantly pings the
mothership with your current public IP address (which it can also look up, as
can you at www.whatsmyipaddress.com). It HAS to work this way to get through
any firewalls. As long as your public IP address stays the same, nothing
happens-BUT when your ISP does change your address (and being dynamic, it will
change!), The mothership is notified of the change and makes the necessary
changes to your DNS entry. That way when someone types in www.jason.com, NoiP
already KNOWS the new IP address and redirects the query there.

-D