[BC] Best Buy Dropping Sony XDR-S3HD Table Radio

Rich Wood richwood at pobox.com
Mon May 26 07:55:54 CDT 2008

------ At 09:38 PM 5/25/2008, Glen Kippel wrote: -------

>On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 1:05 PM, Rich Wood <richwood at pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > I just returned from a Best Buy in Western MA. They're dropping the Sony
> > receiver and have it on sale for $106. Try your local store if this unit
> > interests you. There are still plenty left.>
> >
> > Hey!  Such a deal!  I could put it on the shelf next to my Marantz
> > quadraphonic amp...

While the Sony is one of the better of the revolutionary tabletop
receivers in the lo-fi genre it's still a toy. A Marantz is a man's
machine if it's a Saul Marantz vintage. Don't put them near each
other. They'll fight.

In my never ending effort to get this revolution off the dime I
bought one. It's more sensitive than the Accurian but still doesn't
offer the awesome CD quality audio improvements 96KBPS is alleged to
provide. The salesperson was pretty sharp. She knew what the
technology was and made a funny face. She was about 22 and saw no
reason for new radio technology. She listens to her iPod and
Satellite radio because she has a 3 month trial subscription that
came with her new car. She doesn't plan to subscribe after the trial
period. . I asked how many they'd sold. She said five. Only two
customers wanted them for the "additional" stations. They wanted the
local NPR station's Classical music for those hours when they were
running Talk. The rest bought the unit for its design. They were sold
at the clearance price, not the original $199. She indicated there
was a little more interest in the car audio department. I asked the
installation department and was informed they had installed about 10
receivers in the past two years.

With the supplied rat tail and dipole antennas I was able to receive
only the station whose tower I can see. The AM is OK with the Crane
Justice antenna. Only a 50Kw local (WNNZ) was listenable with the
supplied loop. It's very clear to me the digital power increase is
absolutely essential, not only for building penetration and a solid
lock but to decrease the differential of about 20-25 miles between
analog and digital.

I noticed that WVEI-FM, the WEEI, Boston, simulcast has just added a
secondary. I haven't figured out the format, yet, but the display
still says Sports radio. Part of my irritation with this rollout is
the lack of attention to detail. What if GM introduced a car and
decided to add the wheels later? I realize the call letter display
can't be changed without additional licenses, but a few minutes is
all it would take to change the format description or add a slogan
relevant to what the listener is hearing. If the excuse is going to
be "nobody's listening" this is a good way to ensure that continues.

The devil is always in the details. Ignore the details at your peril.

Rich