[BC] AM transmitter lightning sensitivity issue

dynotherm at earthlink.net dynotherm at earthlink.net
Mon May 26 06:57:02 CDT 2008

As I said, I'm on the road and without access to my archives.
When I return in about a week I'll be happy to forward some
instances of ESE protection failure.

When methods of standard setting are abused, I see the term
"abused" as a fully reasonable adjective.

BTW, DR. Mousa generally makes a reasonable SCIENTIFIC argument
for his case, as do others in the Lightning Protection and
Power Quality (Yahoo) forum. It is generally the pieces posted
as examples of submissions by those submitting ESE - for want
of a better word, propaganda - who are often less than forthright
and generally somewhat convoluted in their representations.

The bottom line is that the NFPA is in business to reduce fire
insurance rates by preventing fires and other structural
catastrophic events.

Regardless of recent testing, or lack thereof, it is clear
that Franklin rods, when spaced according to modern practice do
serve to channel and mitigate lightning damage.

The problem with ESE "protection" is that although it MIGHT work
IF INSTALLED TO THE SAME STANDARDS would be prohibitively expensive;
and if installed to the manufacturer's standards DOES NOT PROVIDE
THE SAME PROTECTION AS A GROUP OF FRANKLIN RODS in the case of an
actual HEAVY STRIKE. The difference for safety of life and property
in quite significant.

Broadcasting is nearly unique in that it can make good use of ESE
equipment for lessening the frequency of strikes to towers and is
not at greater risk as it is one of the few applications where the
NUMBER of rods needed is essentially the same.

However, in the general market, the principal reason for ESE equipment
seems to be the enrichment of those manufacturing it without regard
for the hazards created by the mis-statements by some promoters of its
use.

Regardless, with the actions of the NFPA during the past year, there
seems to be no further argument for changing the Franklin rod standard
until someone presses it during a subsequent cycle.

See further comments interspersed below.

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD