[BC] AM transmitter lightning sensitivity issue

Ron Nott ron at nottltd.com
Sun May 25 19:23:36 CDT 2008

To reiterate one more time, here is a quotation from an NFPA official
report: "It appears to the Panel that the NFPA 780 document does not
meet the NFPA criteria for a standard since the recommended lightning
protection system has never been scientifically or technically
validated and the Franklin rod air terminals have not been validated
in field tests under thunderstorm conditions".  This says simply that
neither system has been scientifically tested.  However, NFPA
continues to list the lightning rod system.

Discussions found on the web become highly emotional with the term
"abused" appearing frequently.  Check out the "International
Lightning Protection Association" site for some colorful rhetoric on
Mr. Mousa and others. However, if any of these devices are to be
tested truly scientifically, then insults, ridicule and derogatory
comments have no place in the discussion. They have nothing to do
with true scientific testing.

Now lets define exactly what an ESE (Early Streamer Emission) device
is and how it works.  An excellent example may be found by Googling
INDELEC and then looking at their "Prevectron" products.  These
devices look like an inverted cone with electrodes near the
tip.  They function by initiating an upward streamer during the onset
of a thunderstorm.  The streamer goes up and attaches to a downward
streamer from a cloud at which time a lightning discharge
occurs.  The idea is to discharge part of the electrical energy
contained in the field between earth and a storm cloud.  They
function by repeating this process over and over, hoping to control
the lightning strikes by providing a target, rather than allowing
them to strike at random.

Charge dissipation works on an entirely different theory.  An array
of grounded multiple sharp points is placed at a relatively elevated
location. Prior to the arrival of a thunderstorm, the electric field
slowly begins to build between the cloud and the earth or tall
structure thereon.  A small current begins to flow from each of the
points due to air ionization.  Ben Franklin described a "silent
current" that flows from a sharp point into the air during these
conditions.  It is analogous to a bleeder resistor in the HV supply
of a transmitter.  When a transmitter is shut down, the bleeder
discharges the power supply capacitors in order to make it safe for a
person to work inside the transmitter.  Yes, I know that the caps
should be discharged using the "sissy stick", but capacitors can
build up a charge even after they have been discharged this way.  The
bleeder resistor continuously drains the charge to make it safe.

The only thing wrong with a single sharp pointed rod is that it has a
limited capacity of current.  Placing many of them in parallel is
analogous to placing many high value resistors in parallel to provide
a lower resistance discharge path.  If enough sharp points are placed
in the proper geometry, the electric field voltage will be decreased
below the point where lightning strike will occur.  This field is
measured in volts per meter from ground upward toward the
cloud.  When it exceeds 10 KV/meter of elevation, a strike may occur.

There are in fact three methods of attempting lightning protection:

1. The Franklin rod (an array of them for a large building is not cheap).
2. ESE (Early Streamer Emission) which intentionally causes strikes.
3. Charge dissipation in which the field voltage is diminished by
controlled discharge.

They are not the same.  Charge dissipation products do not use the
principle of ESE.

Ron Nott

----- Original Message ----- From: <dynotherm at earthlink.net>