[BC] AM transmitter lightning sensitivity issue

Gregory Muir gmuir at cherrycreekradio.com
Thu May 22 20:12:52 CDT 2008

That is a fairly straightforward approach but I would be a little wary about
the integrity of my very expensive oscilloscope should the tower take a
direct lightning hit in the process.  A 5KV cap would quickly become either
a straight wire or a cherry bomb.  The scope?  Well...

When working on radar systems I would always either utilize either magnetic
coupling or fairly sophisticated voltage dividers depending upon what was
being looked at in the pulse forming networks.  It was general practice to
never let the scope get any nearer to the circuitry as possible.  I had to
justify my test equipment purchases very rigorously.

Greg