[BC] AM transmitter lightning sensitivity issue

Ron Nott ron at nottltd.com
Thu May 22 17:02:57 CDT 2008

To solve the mystery (paragraph 2, below) of distant storms, be aware
that the electric field gradient may extend horizontally outward for
50 miles or more.  (Imagine iso-electric lines parallel to the
surface of the earth and over the stuff mounted on it).  The field
voltage can be measured with an electric field mill or meter which
measures the vertical field in volts/meter of elevation.  When a
lightning strike occurs at a distance, the DC field voltage will
change instantaneously.  During the field buildup that occurs prior
to a thunderstorm, everything isolated from ground such as guy wire
segments will take on this charge partly from free ions in the air.
Then when the sudden voltage change occurs, they instantaneously
discharge into the nearest electrical conductor.  The sequence is
like this:  The tower is DC ground, but the uppermost guy segments
charge from the electric field to several thousand volts.  Then when
the distant strike occurs and the voltage shifts downward, the highly
charged uppermost guys dump into the tower.  Each succeeding segment
below then follows suit, allowing all of them to dump into the
tower.  This appears at the antenna input as a sudden change in
impedance which is reflected back to the transmitter.  Its protection
circuitry sees it and dumps the transmitter as it was designed to
do.  A sensitive protection circuit can sense a relatively small
discharge causing only a small impedance change for a few
milliseconds, but its job is to protect that transmitter from a bad
load (mismatch) and it does it. (Impedance mismatch?  DUH -
yes.  Thats how they work).

Concerning the Lightning Protection Institute, on the surface it
appears to be a worthwhile organization with an impressive
website.  However, who are they really?  Under their membership list,
you will only find companies that are in business to install NFPA
type lightning rods.  In other words, they represent the
manufacturers of this method and people who sell them.  The NFPA has
settled on the system that includes a bunch of pointed copper rods
over rooftops connected together with heavy conductors assuming that
if a rod takes a lightning strike, the energy will be conducted to
ground.  It is apparently a good system, but will not fit on top of a
tower.  You may assume that tests have been conducted on this system
to certify it, but not so.

Several years ago, a manufacturer of a multiple point dissipation
system applied to NFPA to have their equipment listed.  The NFPA
lightning protection committee is composed of representatives of the
manufacturers of the NFPA system.  So they denied the listing based
on the fact that the multi-point system had not been scientifically
tested.  The manufacturer replied by saying that the conventional
NFPA system also has not been scientifically tested.  The NFPA
committee had to acknowledge that this was true and there was quite a
haggle.  However, in the end they continue to endorse the
conventional method and deny the multipoint method based on two
factors:  Money and petty politics.  To sum up, I suggest that you
take info from the Lightning Protection Institute with a big dose of salt.

Without scientific testing (which will be prevented from happening)
the only proof is in the pudding.  Talk with fellow engineers and
ask, does it work? Reach your conclusions this way rather than
depending on an organization that is merely a pimp for the NFPA
system manufacturers.

Ron Nott

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gregory Muir" <gmuir at cherrycreekradio.com>