[BC] More thoughts about AM transmitter lightning

RichardBJohnson at comcast.net RichardBJohnson at comcast.net
Thu May 22 15:15:04 CDT 2008

They would be called "no-arc" gaps because, if they were
in a nice clean vacuum, they wouldn't arc until the spacing was
so small that dendrites grew out of the metal and shorted.

The resulting arc would clear the short.

On the other hand, we do have gas-gaps. TELCO uses
them all over the world. There are two in every TELCO box
on every house with a telephone.

However, RF will fire them off! If you used a high work-function
gas like dry nitrogen so that RF wouldn't fire them, they will
certainly explode when 3,000 joules of lightning power sets
them off. Ball-gaps can take that, something enclosed
with its internal gas instantly heated to thousands of degrees,
will not be observed intact again.

--
Cheers,
Richard B. Johnson