[BC] AM transmitter lightning sensitivity issue

R A Meuser rameuser at ieee.org
Thu May 22 13:05:33 CDT 2008

Gregory Muir wrote:

> I'm not disregarding the suggestions that all of you have offered.  I
> have noted them.  Being from an analytical background, my mind is
> working on how to implement a simple instrumentation system to see what
> is happening when these events occur.  Power lines have alread been
> address using line analyzers.  It became fairly obvious that storms
> miles distant had little or no effect on line transients.  The same
> applied to ground differentials.  So my attention has turned to the RF
> side of life.  I know it is always difficult to look for fast transient
> events on an active transmission line so am leaning towards
> disconnecting the meter from the base current metering transformer in
> the TU and connecting its output to a scope to see if anything can be
> observed.

Just get a digital storage scope and put in a fairly small value cap to
sample the RF. A 100 pf dorknob at about 5KV or higher should be enough.
  If you want to drop the voltage, add an appropriate value resistor to
ground from the cold side. Let the scope run until an event happens.
Many write to a PC so you could store scans periodically for better
analysis.