[BC] More thoughts about AM transmitter lightning

Jeff Welton jeff_from_nautel at live.com
Thu May 22 09:12:33 CDT 2008

And the Nautel guides are available online :)  I'd been staying out of this thread as all my suggestions have pretty much been covered and there are a pile of people smarter than me here, but Tommy is right - we've spent a pile of resources and manpower studying this stuff, going back to the beacon days in the early 70's.

Go to our website (www.nautel.com), click on the Resource Centre tab, then either click on White Papers (to the right) or just scroll down to them.  There are two PDF files relevant to this topic - one on lightning protection and the other on transmitter site preparation.  The site prep document also includes the lightning protection info, as well as a bunch of other information (a source for carbon balls to roll your own spark gaps, for example).

Of course, as always, you can always feel free to come straight to the source as well - we're happy to help whenever we can, no matter what equipment is involved.

Best,

Jeff

Jeff Welton
Regional Sales Manager, Western U.S.