[BC] Cell Phone Number Questions

Rich Wood richwood at pobox.com
Thu May 22 07:30:55 CDT 2008

------ At 08:00 PM 5/21/2008, Paul B. Walker, Jr. wrote: -------

>No, the rules don't apply to them.
>
>When I had my number ported form the small independent company to
>Charter.. Charter told me it'd take 10 days to 2 weeks. About day
>25, my rep told me "They were being the toughest they'd ever seen".
>
>Charter came to install the internet, tv and phone service around
>day 30 and it still wasnt ready.. about Day 40, I had to threaten
>the phone company by reporting them to various federal and state
>agencies before they'd fork over my number.
>
>I know the porting of numbers doesnt cost anything.. but my uqesiton
>about cost was.. could I HAVE 2 numbers on my cell without actually
>having 2 lines? (Like you would with a family plan?

I had Verizon cell service. I moved to an area where the was no
Verizon signal. That forced me to what was Cingular. I wanted to keep
my Verizon number and expected to wait a while. The Cingular
salesperson went to his computer and ported the number while I
waited. I know it can be done quickly between cell providers. I not
sure of land line numbers and VOIP services can take forever due to
intentional delays by Verizon, so I'm told. While I had been assured
by Verizon that the early cancellation charge would be waived, they
were very upset that the number had been taken and threatened to
charge me the $175 fee. A heated discussion with a supervisor got the
original agreement honored and I didn't have to pay.

At least with AT&T the second line requires a second phone. You can't
have two lines on a single phone.

I know with Vonage I can have as many additional lines as I want.
However, they're all routed to the main number. I don't think there's
any indication of what number is being called.

That's my experience. YMMV.

Rich