[BC] Cell Phone Number Questions

Tom radiofreetom at gmail.com
Wed May 21 19:28:09 CDT 2008

No.  One phone number per Electronic ID number.  AFAIK, no-one's made a
multi-line cell phone yet - which is what you're really asking.

I asked that same question of then-Cingular a while back... and the
service tech was nice enough to explain how it works.  The phone
wouldn't know what to do with two incoming signals at once, and the CO
software wasn't written with multi-line phones in mind.

Although it would seem to be a neat thing to have... although Call
Waiting (tm) accomplishes the same or similar function.  One way to do
it might be - if your wireline provider offers it, not all do - and
those that DO offer, you have to ask specifically for it...

Remote Call Forwarding.

No wires, no instruments - but calls to that number are transferred to
whatever number you'd like.

Contest lines are frequently done this way, AAMOF - eg: 239-WINO could
actually ring 989-8989 (same or different area code)... as well as all
the toll-free and Special Toll (900, 976) numbers.

If RCF gets blank stares, try asking about it as 800 service or
something.  Like I said, not all wireline providers offer it.