[BC] WWV La Caliente

Jim Seaman james724_ at hotmail.com
Sun May 18 12:22:01 CDT 2008

>From the Wikipedia entry about Radio Reloj , Cuba (Radio Clock in Spanish):
"Radio Reloj started on 1 July 1947 and claims to be the oldest non-stop information channel in the world. Common AM frequencies in use are 570, 790, 820, 830, 850, 860, 950 (Havana) and 1020.
The news and information is read against a background sound of continuous clock ticks every second. Every minute there is a station name announcement, a beep on the minute, a time announcement and "RR" in Morse code."

The entry implies that there are other frequencies in use, so if you heard an RR call sign jingle in the hours after sunset, it's a safe bet it is Cuba's Radio Reloj. I regularly hear it in the Washington DC suburbs on 570 kHz under WTNT. I can't hear any other programming above the noise except for the MCW "RR" ID.

Jim Seaman
Germantown, MD