[BC] A Service Idea: Is there a need (and/or a market) for this?

Cowboy curt at spam-o-matic.net
Sun May 18 06:33:47 CDT 2008

On Saturday 17 May 2008 02:45 pm, Keith Hammond wrote:

>  My question is this: Are there enough relocations in the industry to make
>  owning such a rig worthwhile and would broadcasters see any form of
>  advantage in having ready access to a moving company that is actually
>  experienced in aiding their local engineer(s) in un-installing, moving and
>  re-installing such heavy items?

 *If* you're located VERY near a TX manufacturer, maybe.
 Otherwise, there's not enough in this business to justify that purchase.
 When there is, most owners prefer either their own people ( a paid-for
 quantity ) or someone like me ( a known quantity ) to do the actual
 install and turn on.

 The hot-shot outfits are equipped very much as you describe, and some
 do OK. Most do it as a side line to their other hauling business.

 Until '03 I owned a fleet with my name on the doors.
 The fuel costs, permitting costs, taxes, tax taxes, fees, etc. make it
 not a very profitable concern these days.
 Look into it VERY closely if you wish to consider it, and don't be surprised
 when you find out things like you need to buy a permit that you must have
 to allow you to buy another permit, which you must have to pay this or
 that tax. It gets stupid. Then there's insurance. You have no idea.

 Of course, if you really DO have the expertise, you only need move
 one MRI machine ( without quenching ) to make your year !
 ( super conducting cryogenics, where the liquid nitrogen is just the
 insulation for the real coolant. Not for the feint of heart, nor the inexperienced )

--
Cowboy