[BC] Part 15 radio station

Tom radiofreetom at gmail.com
Sat May 17 09:33:39 CDT 2008

A better solution would be to get the FCC to lift the ban on 1-to-10
watt LPFMs and the prohibition against commercial operation thereof.  10
watts into 1 bay at 30 meters will provide the coverage most hobby or
community broadcasters want.  The currently-proposed bias in favor of
LPFMs over translators is a step in the right direction, as is granting
LPFMs primary station status and the ownership limitation - one. (that's
a period, there).  Eliminate satellators altogether would also be a good
idea.  Allow translators to operate only by direct off air reception
unless a showing can be made on a case-by-case basis that direct
reception is impractical or non-viable, in which case only Part 74
STL/ICR channels may be used... alternatively, limit translator service
to where needed for fill-in coverage is needed - areas that would
normally be within the 60 dBµ contour, but are subject to terrain
shadowing or other issues that physically preclude direct reception
OTHER THAN simple distance.  Allowing  antennas with more than 3 dB of
directivity would also help - and not just the LP stations!  I know of a
couple of instances where a station could be moved to better serve the
COL, except the available sites put it under the minimum for a short
spaced station - even with currently-allowed FM DAs!  A higher
directivity (a deeper null in one specific direction) would allow a much
better signal over the COL without interfering with the SS station.
Like a three-element Yagi, forex....

Meanwhile, we struggle along....

5 watts into a five - element Yagi at 30 meters AGL.... I could live
with that - I have a first-adjacent A to protect to the south; aimed
~350°T, I could cover the areas I want to reach without bothering 101.3
down in Columbus.....  and all the MX apps for Indy that are co-channel
are for FXs, so are not protected...