[BC] Continental 314

Jay Braswell braswell at broadcast.net
Thu May 15 14:35:58 CDT 2008

Until you mentioned it, I'd forgotten that I'd seen that transmitter. Ken Durst was the engineer at the old WLOW-1300/Aiken, and he took me out to the AM transmitter site. I'd never seen one like it, nor have I seen one since.

The FM tower was on the roof of a two-story building in downtown Aiken, with the studios/transmitter on the second floor. Seems like there was a drug store on the ground level.

Interesting that all three Aiken County AM stations are long silent...WAKN/1kw-D on 990, WLOW/500w-D on 1300 and good ol' WVAP(Burnetttown)/500w-D on 1510.