[BC] anyone with UVerse yet?

Broadcast List USER Broadcast at fetrow.org
Tue May 13 20:51:38 CDT 2008

That has already been done in the cable industry.  Comcast and Time
Warner bought the bankrupt (financially AND MORALLY) Adelphia
Communications Corporation out of bankruptcy, and in a three way
deal, they swapped systems between Comcast and Time Warner to take
over markets.  Time Warner had several systems in the Washington, DC
metro area that they swapped to Comcast, and in other markets the
reverse occurred.

This has also happened in the wireless business.  As an example,
Verizon ended up with some D-AMPS (TDMA) systems, which they swapped.

There is no reason this couldn't happen with wireline telephone,
other than the very obvious administrative problems.

Also, don't believe for one second that Verizon won't offer FIOS in
areas where they don't have a wireline footprint.  For now, they have
their hands full in areas where they have wireline service, and this
will be the case for quite some time, but once that is built out, why
would they stop?  They won't!  I imagine the next place to go would
be areas in which they have wireless service, AND the incumbent
wireline company has not rolled out fiber to the home.  The last
place (s) they will want to go is where they will create a competitive
issue for themselves, like AT&T wireline service areas.  They won't
poke the bear because then AT&T will overbuild them too.  Of course,
that WOULD be good for the consumer.

For now, the most likely NEXT places for Verizon to build FIOS are
locations where they have wireline, NEAR or ADJACENT to where they
have built out FIOS, and where Comcast is the cable company.  Why
Comcast?  Because they are easy to beat.

--chip