[BC] Digital converters Experience

Robert Meuser rameuser at IEEE.org
Tue May 13 06:14:58 CDT 2008

Sony and Sharp generally get the best revues as far as sets go. The big
thing is to be sure the tuner has a 6th generation chipset. My $200 Eye TV
computer interface has a 6th generation chip and it is noticeably better
than my Sony receiver which has a 5th generation tuner. I have not direct
reception, it is all indirect multipath.

For converter boxes, as others have said, Zenith seem to be the one to beat.

You said you can not get WABC DT. What about the other NY stations? I do not
think you need an amp in Elizabeth NJ. A poor tuner and multipath is the
likely culprit. Are using an outdoor antenna? Also consider that channels 7
9 11 and 13 will be digital on their original VHF channels after next
February. CHs 2 4 and 5 will remain on UHF but not necessarily the current
channel.