[BC] Antenna Question

Peter Moncure pmoncure at radiosoft.com
Mon May 12 15:30:37 CDT 2008

RichardBJohnson at comcast.net wrote:
> To the "mere private pilot" who answered this message, I have
> the fastest delete-key in the northeast so your response went away
> <sniff>. The rule you cite is for structures which exceed 200 ft.
> AGL.

Umm, no it isn't, it's for "any construction or alteration", and is from
Title 14 Part 77.13, which is controlling.
> http://wireless.fcc.gov/antenna/index.htm?job=about_getting_started
>
> My advice was more conservative and was to check with
> FSDO.

And that's usually good advice.  But the question, "if one is proposing
a structure, say, 195 feet AGL at 4.5 miles, should I register?" has no
simple answer.  I've personally observed some pretty awful mistakes by
the AEA's.
> Once you get your "commercial" and start playing around closer
> to the ground, towing banners, doing photography, or killing
> bugs, you will become more conservative about towers, too!

Yipes, I'm already super-conservative around towers.

--
Peter Moncure, VP RadioSoft
706.754.2725 -2745 FAX