[BC] ANI Faking

Broadcast List USER Broadcast at fetrow.org
Sun May 11 02:47:33 CDT 2008

I realize it is a little known fact, but as long as a person is
dialing the phone, it is LEGAL to telemarketer to cellular phones.  I
BELIEVE they may not if you put your number on the Do Not Call List,
but I am not sure about that, but don't want to bother to look up and
read the law tonight.  --AND UNDERSTAND I AM ON THE DIGEST, SO I AM
FREQUENTLY A DAY OR MORE BEHIND!

The other issue is that if they are outside the US, they are beyond
the reach of US law.  This is done frequently today, and with VoIP,
it is only going to get worse as the costs are so low.

Then there are some VoIP providers.  There is the issue of SPOOFING
the Caller ID.  MANY providers, and even some PBXs allow this, and it
just stinks.

I had Lingo as my home like for about 14 MISERABLE months.  I
STRONGLY recommend against them.  For about six or eight of those
months I could go on the web site and change the number that came up
on the Caller ID of the person I would call.  I actually did consider
pranking a good friend that he was getting a call from the White
House, 202-456-1414.

Thankfully, AT&T HAS made it impossible to send web based text
messages unless you have an account.  Sadly, their Terms of Services
on the web page makes it totally impossible to sign up for web access
to your own account.  The last time I read it, if someone hacks your
account, and they send out 200,000 iPhones, the owner of the account
actually has to pay for them.  There is no way I am going to sign up
for that!

-chip