[BC] ANI Faking

Jeff Orr jorr at communicorr.com
Sat May 10 23:17:51 CDT 2008

Yeah, it is possible to fake what is sent. Back in my days prior to
broadcast engineering, I oversaw a large school district IP phone
system & network (cisco call manager). One of my first duties on the
job was to figure out why all calls from the district's
administrative center were "coming from a farm store 25 miles north".
Well, an installer goofed and entered the routing record as
"nnn-745-XXXX" instead of "nnn-754-XXXX". Because we used ISDN-PRI to
interface with the local TELCO, I can send whatever I please as ANI
(CallerID) info. We actually did this on purpose on occasion. We did
not want people calling back into the wrong building when we routed
numbers across the network and out the PRI. Therefore, I "spoofed"
the callerID into to show as the main dial-in number, or when a
student dial-out system called it showed the main district number.

So... there are real reasons, but like everything else. People have
found ways to do bad things with it.

Jeff

Jeff Orr
Communicorr, LTD.
Broadcast Engineering * Enterprise Networking
www.communicorr.com