[BC] Hams and troubleshooting...

Gary Peterson kzerocx at rap.midco.net
Sat May 10 15:42:43 CDT 2008

Most of the technically minded Hams who have
> been around a while and are "self schooled" are great system and
> component level troubleshooters.  It's great when you've been
> schooled on a piece of equipment but it's even better when you can
> add the understanding of how and why to that schooling.

" Gee, but some slob with a 2nd or 1st phone can't if he isn't a ham
too?
Ron D "

I don't think that anyone said that, Ron.  Someone who, arbitrarily, won't
hire an applicant with a ham license is just as ignorant as someone who
won't, arbitrarily, hire a person with a GROL or who learned electronics in
the military or trade school.  I suspect the person, you referred to, missed
out on some good employees.  I once worked in a very successful 2-way shop,
where both owners and most of the employees were radio amateurs.  It's still
in business today.  Their direct, local competitors are both out of
business.  I'm not inferring that hiring mostly hams made them a success,
but it didn't seem to cripple them, either.

Gary, KØCX
Former 1st phone holder
Present, worthless GROL holder