[BC] Female engineers

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com
Sat May 10 11:44:24 CDT 2008

>Margaret said--
>
>So Kim, yes there are not a lot of female engineers out there, and
>many have come and gone, but a few of us made a long career out of it.
>And you can too, if you want too (the problems with the business in
>general notwithstanding).

What she said!  (I mentioned her in my 3rd book, in fact.)  Margaret
was a well-respected engineer, and many people -- both male and
female --  were impressed with the quality of her work.  But in that,
nothing has changed.  The way to win people over is to be very
competent and very reliable and willing to put up with the b.s. while
still keeping a sense of humour.  Yes there are some guys who are a
bit neanderthal about having a female engineer around, as some guys
(and some women, truth be told) were not accustomed to women doctors
or women lawyers or women senators.  But social change does occur,
and you can tell it's happening by how the language changes.  When I
was a kid, it was common to hear about a "woman doctor" or a "lady
lawyer"-- the majority were male, so any female was considered an
exception.  But in 2008, just about nobody talks like that.  "Oh I
went to see the woman doctor"-- not a very common way of
speaking.  People will describe their doctor, yes-- "he's an older
guy" or "she's a really nice lady" or whatever.  But most of us today
regard a doctor as a doctor, whether male or female.  When there are
very few of something in an industry (women, minorities, disabled
people, whatever), the few who are different do get pointed out.  I
was the first female announcer and one of the first female music
directors at every station where I worked, but as more women got into
broadcasting in non-traditional jobs (rather than just doing the
"women's show"), things slowly changed and life went on.  I don't
know if there will ever be a lot of women engineers, but I do know
that you will earn the respect of your peers by being good at your
job, just like the late great Eunice Randall did back in the early
1920s.