[BC] Female engineers

Margaret Bryant maggiesdogs at earthlink.net
Sat May 10 07:58:03 CDT 2008

Hi Kim-
And welcome! I may have left the business after 30 years of broadcast
engineering, but I still read this list! I too have never heard any knob,
shaft, screw, and rack jokes from guys. Back in the 1980s I wrote a story
for Radio World about me being the "broad in broadcasting". I got a lot of
letters about it, all of them fun. If you can find a copy of the article,
you might find some similarities and enjoy the laugh.

During my career, I spent almost 10 years with Westinghouse and yes, they
were quite progressive in trying to find women to fill engineering jobs.
But the women needed to be qualified; they weren't just filling a job with
a female. Jan Kowalczyk was engineering manager of Westinghouse's KYW-AM in
Philadelpia for a very long time. Before that she was a KDKA. I think she
was a radio engineer for well over 30 years. She retired a couple of years
back. Fay Morris worked in my shop when I was at WMAQ in Chicago (then
owned by Westinghouse). I hired her away from the Johnson Publishing
stations. She'd already worked as an engineer for several years before I
hired her. She stayed at WMAQ for a few more after I moved on to ABC Radio
Networks and I believe is retired now.

Kim, if you want to meet a woman engineer who is still working, go to ABC
Radio Networks in Dallas. My replacement there is Leslie Kveton. Leslie has
over 30 years in broadcast engineering, most of them at ABC and KVIL in
Dallas. She is the Director of Engineering and Technical Operations there
and believe me, is not just a paper pusher, she gets down in the trenches
with the guys to work on equipment too.

So Kim, yes there are not a lot of female engineers out there, and many
have come and gone, but a few of us made a long career out of it.
And you can too, if you want too (the problems with the business in general
notwithstanding). Best of luck to you!

Margaret Bryant