[BC] Hams and troubleshooting...

Ronald J. Dot'o Sr. ron.doto at comcast.net
Sat May 10 11:43:25 CDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Burt I. Weiner" <biwa at att.net>
To: <broadcast at radiolists.net>
Sent: Saturday, May 10, 2008 08:37
Subject: [BC] Hams and troubleshooting...

> All Hams are not created equally and can come from different areas
> of interest in Hamdom.  Most of the technically minded Hams who have
> been around a while and are "self schooled" are great system and
> component level troubleshooters.  It's great when you've been
> schooled on a piece of equipment but it's even better when you can
> add the understanding of how and why to that schooling.

Gee, but some slob with a 2nd or 1st phone can't if he isn't a ham
too?

Just because
> Belch-Fire manufacturing designed and built a piece of equipment
> doesn't mean that it was designed properly.

However that's a very rare occurence.  If it's type accepted it's
usually designed well.

Someone with good
> experience may well discover why a professionally designed piece of
> equipment failed when it should not have.

Possible, but not probable.

Again, if I don't have a ham license I guess my experiance doesn't
count.  All I ever had was a 1st phone with a ship Radar endorsement.
I feel so unworthy.  I guess that's what happens when you fail to
qualify as an "Ammature" and get a "Professional" license.  This is
starting to sound like "If you ain't a Ham then you ain't s**t.

> Do not make the mistake of not hiring a person just because they are
> a Ham (Radio Operator).  Interview them the same way you would any
> other prospective employee.  Give them credit for having more than a
> passing interest in things electronic.

Agreed.  But it's not the "interest" that a for profit shop is
interested in.  It's the ability to repair radios in a timely and
profitable manner.  Acient radio history is irrelavent and has nothing
to do with the bottom line.  I've been an employee and an employer.
If your techs can't make you money then you can't afford to have them
in your employ or you'll go out of business.

Ron D