[BC] HAMS

Mike McCarthy Towers at mre.com
Sat May 10 11:19:56 CDT 2008

Robert, you're mixing bath water with oil and painting a VERY broad
swath.  I agree with you in premise that some things are better left
out of the "commercial" club shack, and the various installations
should be on par with the remaining facility's standards at that
location.  You are dead on about some people having better protoboard
skills than others.

Conversely, I could not think of a better incubation setting than a
technical professional's club shack to tinker with making something
new or better.  I'm not going to go into the whole schpiel of how
things discovered in the "commercial" ham shack has paid countless
dividends because it gave the developer easy access to "real"
conditions on which to experiment without the rigid limitations of
the FCC's experimental license process. I think the skills of a
prototyper are honed in that environment.

Now...back to the club...one has to look at the priorities of the
club for that type of decision.  If the CLUB wants to simply be a
group of appliance operators, then your position is on target. Keep
the shack clean, tidy, and all matters of installation tightly
controlled. If the club's members wants to experiment and tinker,
then the club should lay out some minimum QC standards so that the
rest of the shack doesn't suffer as a result.  Like not leaving the
experiment spread all about the shack and keeping all the circuits
neatly housed in some sort of enclosure (Bud boxes, et al) and
carefully power protected.

There is a balance which can be achieved.  But it belongs to the
total club to decide that.

Now as for hiring a ham...  The license is but one aspect which needs
to be considered.  Your points about "rolling your own" V simply
buying commercial carries some validity.  In today's time managed
world, managers need to decide where rolling your own runs short of
simply calling BSW or BGS to buy something or the local rigger,
electrician, or choose your skill set to install something.

I, however, view rolling your own as a skill which could serve me
well IF the skills and motivation are channeled correctly.

73 OM...MM

At 05:57 PM 5/9/2008 -0700, rameuser at tmo.blackberry.net wrote