[BC] Continental 314R-1 Trouble possible answers

BOYDSIRBOYD at aol.com BOYDSIRBOYD at aol.com
Sat May 10 00:22:02 CDT 2008

In a message dated 5/9/2008 12:23:48 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
avcradio at roadrunner.com writes:

Having  some trouble with this transmitter, It will run for a short period of
time  at low power, put it at high power and it trips off after all the
meters  peg. I assumed

the switch tube was going bad and I changed it, same  problem. Bias voltage
was a little low so I replaced some of the caps that  have been drying out
and the voltage

is normal +115, -115 turn to  low power good so far then high power and same
thing trips off, I have  found out that if I would shut off the bias supply
for a second or  two

and back on it will run for a while at low power, but not at high  power.
Would there be something wrong with the switchmod card ? Also  Continental is
telling me

that the clamp diode could be breaking  down but I disagree since when I
remove bias voltage briefly it will work.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Steve Fraunfelter

Chief  Engineer

AVC Communications Inc

WCMJ-FM WWKC-FM WBNV-FM

WILE-AM/FM WBIK-FM

STEVE,

i have several questions for you.

1. does it have a transformer between the driver card output and the pa  tube?
2. did you try taking loose the fiber optic cable loose from the  switchmod
card and see real quick what all your voltages were?
3. did you try taking out the switchmod card to see what all your  voltages
were?
4. did you check to see if all the mos-fets were good on the driver  card?

let me know the answers to these questions and i can narrow down your
problem.
call me  828-273-8371

bill

favorites at AOL Food.