[BC] NYC area Jazz

Scott Fybush scott at fybush.com
Fri May 9 21:15:05 CDT 2008

WBRadiolists at aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 05/06/2008 12:35:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> dpuopolo at usa.net writes:
>
>> WBGO 88.3 in Newark. They also stream.
>
> Terriffic. With 88.5 right nearby, this one will be hard to pull out. Come to
> think of it, I think NPR has a 25Kw satellator on Long Island. I think this
> signal is a lost cause in these parts. I already know that it is not at all
> audible here in West Haven, as the NPR satellator completely dominates that
> frequency up here.

Point of information, if I may:

"NPR" does not own or operate any stations - well, save for an
experimental license held by NPR Labs for some IBOC testing in the
Washington DC area.

NPR is a program provider funded by underwriting, grants and by dues
from member stations, of which there are several hundred local
operations around the country. Some are owned by school districts, some
by colleges and universities, some by community nonprofit organizations.
Much of the programming people think of as "NPR" doesn't even come from
NPR - "A Prairie Home Companion" and "Marketplace," for instance, come
from American Public Media in Minnesota. Unlike NPR, APM is tied in with
station ownership; it's commonly owned with the Minnesota Public Radio
network, and with several stations in California, and its management has
national ambitions that have aroused suspicion from some of the local
stations that buy its programs. The public radio system is far more
balkanized than most people outside the community understand.

Be that as it may: the "25 kW satellator" on 88.3 to which Willie refers
is actually WLIU, Southampton, NY, which is locally owned and operated
by Long Island University. A look at their schedule shows them to be
rather heavy on jazz, at least some of it (10 AM-3 PM daily) programmed
locally. There's also 90 minutes of local Long Island news each day, as
well as local talk. The only long-form NPR programming WLIU carries is
an hour of Morning Edition at 6 AM and a handful of syndicated music
shows. If that's a "satellator," I'd like more of them in my neighborhood.

I think Willie may be getting WLIU confused with another Southampton
station, WRLI 91.3, which operates as a part of the Connecticut Public
Radio network (which identifies as "WNPR," the calls of its 89.1 signal
in Norwalk.)

One could quibble about whether Connecticut Public Radio needs a signal
on the East End of Long Island (their argument, I believe, is that the
area is beyond the reach of NYC's public radio stations and more closely
tied culturally to the Connecticut coast than to NYC), but if nothing
else, Connecticut Public Radio at least employs a news staff on Long
Island to produce local coverage. That compares favorably to a true
"satellator," like my "local" outlet of EMF's California-based "K-Love"
network, which holds a main-studio waiver, has no programming staff here
in town (just a promotions person), and carries a 24/7 program feed off
the bird from somewhere in Sacramento. (Or the "local" outlets of Family
Radio and Jimmy Swaggart's Family Worship Center, for that matter, fed
respectively from Oakland and Baton Rouge.)