[BC] Female engineers

Bob Groome bobgroome at yahoo.com
Fri May 9 18:14:31 CDT 2008

Welcome Kim

When I chiefed in Cleveland I had Joann DePompa as an "engineer in training" (fancy title for under paid new engineer). She went on to work for WTAM (WWWE back in those years); but sad to say we've lost track.

When I traveled for Harris (Gates) as a field tech I meet Dr. Barbar Lundie (my spelling may be off) who taught at a university and engineered the local radio station. And we had a gal working for Clear Channel out here. So I know your sisters exist, I just never paid much attention to anything other than 'can you do the work'. My second best boss was Barbara Bailey back in Cleveland OH who was the station manger. She was a lot of fun to work with. We had a very good team.

I've actually never heard any female engineer jokes! And I've been around the block a few times.... since my first station way back when we all had blue first phone licenses.

Continued good luck!

bob

Kim Sacks <radioctrldwife at gmail.com> wrote: No one has heard of me, I'm still a broadcast newbie, but I have 5
years under my belt so far.

I've yet to meet another female broadcast engineer face to face, I'm
sure I will one day. Since were on the subject... During an interview
for a job (not broadcast centric, electronics related) the fact that
I had a ham license was a big plus, but there was concern if the
"guys in engineering" would be "comfortable" with me as part of their
crew, and vice vesa. I responded by saying "I work with boradcast
engineers. I've heard every knob, shaft, screw, and rack joke you can
think of. I think I'll be just fine." Unfortunately, I never heard
back from them. I guess I was to confrontational.

-Kim

Bob Groome

Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.       John Adams, 1765

Personal Web site is http://web.mac.com/bobgroome/index.html

Work Email at ERI is bgroome at eriinc.com