[BC] Moseley Starlink SL9003Q Interference Fix

Mark W. Croom markc at kjly.com
Wed May 7 22:49:04 CDT 2008

This is an interesting little aside--that you had wind-related problems.

I've got a Starlink doing a twenty-some mile path with 6' dishes, and while it
doesn't have tons of fade margin it is fine the vast majority of the time.
Sometimes I'll have outages early in the morning with temp inversions, but
that is to be expected, I think, given the path and all.

In addition to that occasional issue, for a while, whenever we had a strong
east wind, we'd end up with high BER and dropouts. We're talking 40+ mph kind
of prairie winds here in MN.

After this happened a few times, I had a climber on my tower to re-lamp, and
decided to have him go through all the cabling on the tower and make sure
things were secure. We have 11 neon sign letters on our tower, spelling "JESUS
IS LORD", and they have SO cord running from junction boxes on the conduit to
the sign itself. A few of those were flapping in the breeze, and apparently
one of them was doing more than that in strong east winds...because we haven't
had a single dropout since.

For a while I lost sleep every time the wind was forecast to be strong out of
the east, but now I am pretty confident the tower guy fixed our problem with
the Starlink system by battening down all those cords.

Mark
MN