[BC] Moseley Starlink SL9003Q Interference Fix

R. V. Zeigler rzeigler at krvn.com
Wed May 7 16:13:25 CDT 2008

We had a real problem with our Starlink STL that had us to the point of
reverting to analog. There were a few card problems that Moseley did get
fixed for us, but we still continued to have intermittent audio drop
outs. We found a high BER count, which was an indication of something
causing us interference. We tried the Crescend amplifier, the Moseley
bandpass filter, and increasing error correction in the receiver, all to
no avail. Sending the units back to Moseley did not help as they worked
perfectly both there and here on the bench. I asked Dave Chancey at
Moseley about a frequency specific bandpass filter and was directed to
Jeff Sloane at Integrated Microwave Corporation. IMC built us one of
their frequency specific filters (with a money-back guarantee if it did
not work for us). We have had it in for a week now, and have experienced
no dropouts. Our site has become a real "RF Soup Bowl" and while analog
could overcome the interference, our digital could not. We did spend
time looking for interference, but the SA yielded no quality results. If
we run into problems again, I will report it, but for $500-$600 it
allowed us to use our digital STL in a really noisy environment. A big
THANKS! to Dave and Jeff.
Rod

--
R. V. Zeigler, Dir. of Eng.