[BC] Replacing my computer

Goran Tomas gtomas.lists at gmail.com
Wed May 7 06:03:28 CDT 2008

The most problem is in drivers - if you can't get 64-bit drivers for all you
peripherals, the only option you have is to buy another (64-bit compatible)
piece of hardware. Printers, scanners, stuff like that are especially
problematic...

The other thing is that there are 32-bit software that won't run on 64-bit
system. Think firewalls, antivirus software... Usually such software will
say it's a server system and you will have to buy a server (professional)
license.

The 64-bit system has a larger memory footprint as well, so buy enough RAM
(which considering the memory prices now is not a problem). Performance
wise, I personally didn't notice any significant (if at all) increase in
performance when I tried XP 64-bit and Vista 64-bit. Instead the hassle on
incompatibility forced me back to 32-bit systems... The personal computer
market, IMO, is not yet mature for 64-bit systems. Hopefully the situation
will improve fairly quickly.

Regards,
Goran Tomas